Thursday, December 3, 2009

Thursday Morning or Wednesday Night in the States




Me at my desk at Ja-yang Middle School.

I just wanted to write to the BLOG, since I haven't written in a few days and there seems to be nothing else to do as I sit here at my desk in the office of my country school. I was informed this morning that I will not be having any classes today and the next three days that I teach out here, due to final exams being held at the school. They even said I could leave after lunch today to go and rest. So needless to say "I love Korea" and my new job. I am sitting here looking busy typing away with only a few hours to kill before lunch and then off for the day. This is the first day that I have gotten off early to pursue my own endeavors on a work day, so I am excited about the opportunity. It is unfornutely a cloudy and rainy day, so a stroll through the park to read my book is probably out of the question.

So far, I absolutely love Korea and my new full time job as evident of my Thursday morning. With the way the economy is and the unemployment rate continuing to rise back home, I could be here a while. I went to the Dentist this last Tuesday to finish a root canal that I started a few years ago down in Mexico. Since I never finished the root canal, the hole often gets infected, causing swelling and pain. The Dentist here was really cool, he spoke English and did wonderful work, suprisingly with little to no pain as He dug, grinded, and poked me with long needles. He said I must continue to come back, probably several times to finish what I started in Mexico. I can't stand the dentist or the genecologist in general, so you can imagine this was bad news and hard for me to succum to the fact that I needed this. But I had let the problem go and persist to this point, a lesson learned, when the Dentist says come back, you come back. For the first visit, it was only about $12 US dollars and about $2 US dollars for the antibiotics, gotta love Korea!! The beginning of the root canal with medications cost my 5 times as much down in Mexico and probably would be more in the States, even with insurance.

Truly the only things that I miss from home is the weather and my dog. I can't stand having to layer up and wear a heavy coat everywhere and I miss the "roo roo roos" of my Jezzy when I would come home. I have even looked into flying her out here, but I keep reading horror stories of dogs and cats dying on planes. I also think she is a good fit to take care of my Mom as I always worry about her as well. The negatives always seem to out weigh the positives when thinking about it, she wouldn't like the cold weather, she wouldn't have a yard, and my desire to do lots of traveling would make it stressfull for both of us. I still miss her though!

I have been doing a lot of running, hiking, and climbing. A combination of that and the Korean food has already brought on a weight loss, yay! The local park also has these circuit machines with bikes and exercise equipment which is all free and very enjoyable. I was on a machine that twists the waist back and forth watching the gorgeous full moon last night, what an awesome experience. I am scheduled to go on two hiking trips the next two weekends up huge mountains, I will take pictures to share the fun. Thank you all for reading and being involved in my adventure and I will continue to share my thoughts, feelings, and pictures of my experiences in this new country.

No comments:

Post a Comment