Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Field Trip to Jeonju

My co-teacher took me on a field trip to show me her hometown, which is Jeonju. Jeonju is about 40 minutes away and is the closest big city to Gunsan. It has about twice as many people and is a lot more congested than Gunsan. It is supposedly one of the oldest cities in Korea, still holding many of the original buildings built 400-500 years ago. She took me to a small museum that depicted the old buildings and then we actually saw some.









These were some flowers made out of old Korean paper, also found in the museum. The art of making things out of paper goes back a long ways in the Korean culture, really pretty.



I thought this place was pretty historical and even took a picture of the description of what these houses were used for. They were basically where many rituals were performed and where people prepared themselves to be inhabited by the spirit, kind of creepy if you ask me. If you click on the description picture, you can read for yourself. That is one of my co-teachers in the picture in front of these ritual houses that are just closed down and there for show now. Supposedly one of the Queen's of Korea lived in them after they weren't used for rituals any more, but I am sure she had a few rituals of her own.






No comments:

Post a Comment